This is the 1996/97 ITV-Meridian/A&E version of Emma, made for television. It starts Kate Beckinsale as Emma and Mark Strong as Mr. Knightley.
Jane Austen's Emma: A&E 1996/7
Film credits and awards,
cast interviews, filmographies, and fan sites. This television miniseries
was broadcast in late 1996 in England and early 1997 in the US.
It won two Emmy Awards. See also the Internet Movie Database's Emma 3
- A couple of Mr. Knightley .wav's from Cate: "He
is her superior in both sense and situation!", "Badly
- See images and videos from this production in our gallery!
Music Notes and dances
Screenwriter Andrew Davies'
thoughts on scripting Emma, including his view of historical sociopolitical themes and how they might fit into the story.
- From PBS' Complete Jane Austen companion site, Andrew Davies discusses Austen and his various adaptations of her works, including this one.
My review of the women's
costuming in the Emma adaptations
- My guest blog spot at Jane Austen Today (hi Laurel Ann and Vic!) on Emma3 fashions
- Heather's Austen Adaptations Costume Pages
site at A&E
fabulous Austen Images site, complete with crisp E 3 screencaps!
- Susan Christie's review and defense of Mark Strong and Kate Beckinsale.
- Kali Pappas' review
- A comparison between the Emma 2 and Emma 3 Knightleys.
- Author Jill Pitkeathley reviews the adaptation for Book Club Girl.
- Peter M. Nichols discusses Emma 2 and Emma 3 in terms of the recent onslaught of Austen film adaptations.
- London Times review
- Washington Post review
- LA Times review by Nancy Jalasca Randle
- Ultimate TV review by N.F. Mendoza
- The Best Video Guide review